Exercise is quite simply one of the most beneficial things we can do to improve our health. For most people however, they deem exercise as a painful, rigorous, unrealistic activity that they can easily ignore.
Why with all the health clubs and fitness equipment are we still obese?
- It seems 100 years ago obesity was a non-issue whereas today, with all our health clubs and fitness gurus selling DVDs, we are more obese than ever.
- Back in the old days we had to walk to the market everyday to get food. Or, we hunted for our food or grew it in our own gardens.
- Our occupations were more physical back then than today. Most of us sit in front of computers instead of engaging in physical labor.
- Today we have remote controls and drive-through restaurants. Our lives are far more sedentary than they were for our grandparents and great-grandparents.
What are the real benefits of exercise?
- The benefits of exercise do not stop physiologically. Exercise has such a tremendous impact on emotional health as well. Exercise helps you feel good because endorphins are released in the brain making you feel good. Exercise also helps build self-esteem and establish confidence.
- Perspiration is one of the largest eliminators of toxins we have available to us. Skin is the largest organ of elimination in the body.
- When you exercise your arteries expand. Your blood flow increases. The more oxygen is distributed to your brain and organs. This helps you think better and improves your mood.
What kind of exercise can I do?
- The key is to engage in an exercise routine that you enjoy. It’s better to do something that you enjoy doing then doing a workout regime that you hate -even if it may be a “better” workout. You will stick with a routine that you enjoy.
- Hiking, biking, swimming, long walks – whatever gets you moving, perspiring and speeding up your heartbeat is exercise.